Be prepared for Universal CreditCONTENT STARTS
Are you aware of Universal Credit? A new welfare benefit is being introduced called Universal Credit (UC) which relates to people age 18 to 64. As the charitable arm for Liverpool Mutual Homes (LMH), ComMutual is helping to get the message to customers about the support available to those who could be affected by the changes.
UC is replacing many existing benefits, including Housing Benefit, combining them into one single monthly payment.
Changes will take place across Liverpool throughout 2018 – check to see when your area is moving over by typing your postcode into the Entitledto's postcode checker.
Although you might not be affected at the moment, any change in circumstances could affect you in the future i.e. having a child, moving in with your partner, moving to a new address and more many more which could have an impact.
Full details about making online claims can be found on the LMH website but here’s how ComMutual can assist you through the process:
- Free IT training and access to the Internet, including setting up an email address which is required to make on online claim for UC
- Advice on setting up a bank, building society or credit union account which is required to make an online claim for UC
- Employment and training support
- Signpost to services for budgeting, debt, energy & utility debt and benefit advice
- Food bank vouchers
- Sign up to Twitter and follow @ComMutualInfo and @lmhinfo to keep up to date with tips, information and free sessions available.
Initiatives such as the school holiday camps, health bursaries and charitable grant workers are examples of the support available which can contribute to preparing you and your family for the changes UC may bring.
Help and Advice - In the L9 Area
Although most of Liverpool will not move over until later this year, UC has recently been introduced in the L9 area. As a result ComMutual and LMH staff are visiting the L9 neighbourhood to provide help and advice:
Monday 12th February 10am - 4pm Flowers Tenants & Residents Office, 1 Citron Close
Tuesday 13th February 10.30am - 12.30pm Based in the car park, Fazakerley Close off Rice Lane
1.30pm - 3.30pm Based in the car park, Moss Lane Flats off Northfield Road
Speak to someone
- Universal Credit - Call the Universal Credit Helpline on 0800 328 5644 which is available Monday – Friday between 8am – 6pm.
- Your Housing Association - If the UC changes result in difficulty paying your rent, make sure you speak to your landlord as soon as possible. If you’re with LMH, contact the Welfare Reform Team via 0800 678 1894.
- ComMutual - If you’d like more information about how the ComMutual projects could support you, your family and your community, contact the team via 0300 123 5809.